Group Finance Controller
3rd June 2019
With growing concern about the climate emergency and energy costs constantly rising, the need to advance low carbon solutions has never been greater.
The MCS Group is formed of the MCS Charitable Foundation, an independent UK-wide charity, and the MCS Service Company.
The Foundation operates through advocacy, research, grant-giving and convening the sector to drive innovative projects and further their mission is to accelerate the widespread adoption of renewable energy and low carbon technologies.
With energy costs constantly rising and climate change affecting us all, low-carbon technology has an increasingly bigger role to play in the future of UK energy.
The MCS Service Company, since 2008, has become the recognised standard for UK products and their installation in the small-scale renewables sector. MCS is a mark of quality. MCS creates and maintains standards that allow for the certification of low carbon products, installers and their installations, used to produce electricity and heat from renewable sources.
Sitting as part of the MCS Group senior leadership team, spanning both the MCS Charitable Foundation and MCS Service Company, you will be a hands-on director leading on all Group operational finance activities and strategic initiatives. You’ll take control of a small and competent finance team. You will have a strategic finance role supporting the Chief Executives of both Charitable Foundation and Service Company, managing the forecasting and review of projects, initiatives and core business across the Group. ’You will maintain a robust financial control framework and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
In time, you will lead the creation and delivery of a shared services model, which will likely bring together our Finance, HR and IT support for the MCS Group.
You will have a sound technical accounting knowledge from completing your ACA, ACCA or CIMA accounting qualification. Ideally experience of working in a small to medium sized business or charity to comprehend the full reporting and forecasting process as well as demonstrating your operational exposure and knowledge of charities SORP requirements. Importantly, you will act with natural leadership qualities and communication skills to lead on strategic initiatives whilst working with a range of colleagues across the business.
MCS experienced its most successful year to date in 2021 and we are building on that strong foundation in this year and beyond. Our finance function is at the heart of our operations; helping us to fund the vital work that we do across the renewable energy sector.
What we offer:
- 25 days’ annual leave per annum – increasing to 28 days with 3 years’ service, and to 30 days with 5 years’ service (Pro-rata)
- 8% company pension contribution
- Access to and support with continuous professional development
- Access to salary sacrifice schemes, such as Cycle2Work
- Payment of a professional subscription
- Access to a mental health first aider and counselling support
- Provision of free fruit, tea and coffee, soft drinks and breads and spreads in the office
- An innovative office environment that encourages collaboration
- Attractive HR policies including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, sick leave, and emergency paid leave
Main role and responsibilities:
- Provide strategic financial guidance to ensure that MCS Group financial commitments are met. Oversee and develop all necessary policies and procedures to ensure sound financial management and control for the Group and in time, lead the creation and management of a Group ‘Shared Services’ department.
- Contribute to the achievement of Group objectives by providing advice and guidance on financial strategy, to include Foundation investments and grant giving, and the management of Company income and expenditure, including in-year investments and reserves.
- Manage the Group’s capital resources including the Foundation’s investment portfolio to deliver an optimal return in line with Group strategy.
- With the Group’s leadership team, develop and control the Group’s annual operating budget to ensure that all financial targets are met, and financial and statutory regulations are complied with.
- Provide support for externally funded projects from start to finish including working with senior colleagues on the budgets for funding bids and putting in place the systems to track, manage and report on project finance.
- Provide financial advice and guidance to Group management and staff to enable them to achieve their financial objectives, including providing for financial performance reporting and a mechanism for reforecasting to enable accurate financial predictions.
- Oversee the preparation of the Group’s financial accounts to ensure that these are presented accurately and on time. Lead the Group’s audit and tax functions, ensuring efficient and compliant Group structures.
- Develop, maintain and align across the Group all necessary systems, policies and procedures to ensure effective and efficient financial management.
- Ensure that the appropriate systems and processes are in place to monitor external contracts and services provided by Suppliers and Grantees. Assess whether these contracts and services are operating effectively, to financial specification and provide good value to the Group.
- Maintain the Group’s various insurance policies in line with the activities of both the Charitable Foundation and Service Company.
- Provide financial performance reporting and associated systems to the Group’s leadership, departmental Managers, Trustees and Directors.
- Direct and control finance staff to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and developed and so that they carry out their responsibilities to the required standard.
- Build and operate a Group Shared Services team that encompasses Finance, HR and IT support.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter of no more than 2 pages, outlining how you meet the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications is Monday 28th November 2022.
Successful applicants will be invited to interview in person or via video call.