object(WP_Post)#12239 (24) {
  string(1) "2"
  string(19) "2019-06-28 10:06:39"
  string(19) "2019-06-28 09:06:39"
  string(0) ""
  string(29) "What to do if things go wrong"
  string(0) ""
  string(7) "publish"
  string(6) "closed"
  string(6) "closed"
  string(0) ""
  string(21) "complaints-compliance"
  string(0) ""
  string(0) ""
  string(19) "2019-12-12 11:47:30"
  string(19) "2019-12-12 11:47:30"
  string(0) ""
  string(39) "http://mcssco.wpengine.com/?page_id=758"
  string(4) "page"
  string(0) ""
  string(1) "0"
  string(3) "raw"
string(71) "https://mcscertified.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Cactus-1920x401.jpg"

What to do if things go wrong

MCS as a quality assurance scheme, is at the centre of a network of organisations set up to advocate consumer protection and to ensure that its members comply with the industry standards which underpin scheme membership.

Before a complaint is escalated with MCS, an Installer must have been given the opportunity to resolve the complaint themselves. If that fails then complaints about technical aspects of installation should be made to the Certification Body, while complaints about marketing, service standards etc. should go to the Consumer Code.


A complaint might include the following:

  • Faulty system or individual components
  • Unhappy with the standard of workmanship
  • Electrical or safety issues
  • Issues relating to the system’s design, size or performance
  • Non-compliance with relevant installation Standards
  • Handover pack incomplete
  • Missing or incorrect MCS certificate
  • Any instance which may bring the MCS scheme into disrepute

If you have concerns about the compliance of your installation you must register this with the Installer who carried out the work and give them the opportunity to resolve the issue. You should do this in writing. You should be prepared to allow your Installer the access to your installation that they need for them to address or resolve your complaint.

If your complaint isn’t adequately resolved, then you will need to contact the Certification Body of your Installer.

If you have considered all the information provided on this page, can demonstrate that the Installer has had a suitable opportunity to handle your complaint, and are not satisfied with the outcome to date then please complete all of the information on the Complaints Form and submit it to us.

We seek to acknowledge all complaints within 5 working days so if you haven’t heard anything within that timescale please get in touch to check we have received it.

Before escalating a complaint with MCS, please read the Complaint Guidelines and use the diagram below to check that you have followed the correct process:


Complaints Procedure


Installers are required to provide an Insurance Backed Guarantee which must be included in the Handover Pack that is provided to you. This guarantee, details of which should also be included on your MCS Certificate, provides protection in the event that the installer is no longer trading and as a result, unable to honour their commitment to you. The requirement for this is set by approved Consumer Codes.


UKAS accredited Certification Bodies certify installers that demonstrate the competence required to fulfil MCS Standards. This is done on an ongoing basis and they undergo annual surveillance visits in order to retain their membership. The Certification Body (and their contact details) for each MCS certified Installer can be found using our Installer Search.

We can only investigate installations, associated handover documentation and installer conduct, where the Certification Body has fully exhausted their complaint process, or for some reason have not been able to assist and the complaint has still not been resolved to your satisfaction.


It is mandatory for all of our Installers to be registered with a Consumer Codes Approval Scheme (CCAS).

It is facilitated self-regulation.

It aims to promote consumer interests by setting out the principles of effective customer service and protection. It goes above and beyond consumer law obligations and sets a higher standard.



To contact us regarding a complaint, please complete this form, clearly itemising the problems and stating your desired outcome. Someone will respond within five working days.

If you need further assistance or guidance, our MCS Helpdesk Team would be happy to help answer any questions you have.


Whether MCS can help you to resolve a complaint is very much dependent on the circumstances.

  • In general, if your installer is no longer trading, MCS is unable to assist. You should check your insurance backed warranty.
  • We can’t address complaints relating to installations on which remedial work has been undertaken by another installer or third-party, unless they were directly appointed by your installer through a compliant contractual arrangement, or by the MCS complaint handler
  • We may not be able to assist if you’ve begun legal proceedings against the installer (or the installer against you)
  • MCS does not have the power to reward financial compensation.

If we aren’t able to take action, there are other organisations which might be able to help:

Organisation & Contact Details Organisational Summary
Consumer Codes Approval Schemes
Renewable Energy Consumer Code (RECC)
Address: 80 Strand, London, WC2R 0DT
Web: https://www.recc.org.uk/
Email: info@recc.org.uk
Tel: 0207 981 0850
Complaints about a RECC member.
The Home Insulation & Energy Systems Contractors Scheme (HIES)
Address: Centurion House, Leyland Business Park, Centurion Way, Leyland, PR25 3GR
Web: www.hiesscheme.org.uk
Email: info@hiesscheme.org.uk
Tel: 0344 324 5242
Complaints about a HIES member.
The Glass and Glazing Federation (GGF)
Address: 40 Rushworth Street, London, SE1 0RB
Web: www.ggf.org.uk
Email: –
Tel: 0207 939 9100
Complaints about a Glass and Glazing Federation member.
Installer Certification Bodies
Association of Plumbers & Heating Contractors Association (APHC)
Address: 12 The Pavilions, Cranmore Drive, Solihull, B90 4SB
Web: www.aphc.co.uk
Email: info@aphc.co.uk
Tel: 0121 711 5030
MCS Installer Certification Body.
Address: Warwick House, Houghton Hall Park, Houghton Regis, Dunstable, LU5 5ZX
Web: www.certsure.com
Email: enquiries@certsure.com
Tel: 0333 015 6625
MCS Installer Certification Body.
Address: 4th Floor, Mill 3, Pleasley Vale Business Park, Mansfield, Notts, NG19 8RL
Web: www.napit.org.uk
Email: info@napit.org.uk
Tel: 0345 543 0330
MCS Installer Certification Body
Address: Severn House, Unit 5 Newtown Trading Estate, Green Lane, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20 8HD
Web: www.hetas.co.uk
Email: info@hetas.co.uk
Tel: 01684 278170
MCS Installer Certification Body.
Stroma Installer Certification Ltd.
Address: 4 Pioneer Way, Castleford, West Yorkshire, WF10 5QU
Web: www.stromainstaller.co.uk
Email: mcs@stromainstaller.co.uk
Tel: 0345 250 4533
MCS Installer Certification Body.
Address: 2 Pine Trees, Chertsey Lane, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 3HR
Web: www.ukas.com
Email: info@ukas.com
Tel: 01784 429000
Accreditation Scheme for the MCS Certification Bodies. UKAS can assist in complaints regarding the way that your complaint has been handled by the relevant Certification Body.
Trading Standards
Address: Local offices (website search)
Web: www.citizensadvice.org.uk
Email: Provided by local area office
Tel: 03444 111 444
Contact though Citizens’ Advice. Complaints about potentially fraudulent activity, or no longer MCS certified. Able to provide advice on a range of topics including:

  • Building and home improvements
  • Problems with products
  • Problems with service providers
  • Protection for the consumer
  • Consumer rights
  • Consumer contracts
  • unsafe or dangerous items
  • fake or counterfeit items
Government Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Address: 1 Victoria Street, London, SW1H 0ET
Web: www.gov.uk
Email: enquiries@beis.gov.uk
Tel: 020 7215 5000
For complaints about Government energy policy and legislation.
Address: 10 South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London, E14 4PU
Web: www.ofgem.gov.uk
Email: DomesticRHI@ofgem.gov.uk
Tel: 0300 003 2289
Queries and complaints about domestic RHI applications.
Energy Ombudsman
Address: Ombudsman Services: Energy, PO Box 966, Warrington, WA4 9DF
Web: www.ombudsman-services.org
Email: N/A
Tel: 0330 440 1624
Provide independent and impartial decisions on complaints against contractors within the energy sector. Typically, if the contractor’s Certification Body, Consumer Code and/or MCS has been unable to resolve a complaint.
Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)
Address: N/A
Web: www.epcregister.com
Email: theregister@landmark.co.uk
Tel: 01392 690428
The Domestic Energy Performance Certificate Register is operated by Landmark on behalf of the Government. Facilitate retrieval of an EPC, or regarding complaints about an EPC (e.g. incorrect rating given). Make a formal complaint to the Energy Assessor in the first instance. If unresolved, the EPC public enquiry helpdesk (Landmark) can provide details of the relevant accreditation scheme.
Companies House
Registrar of Companies (England and Wales):
Address: Crown Way, Cardiff, CF14 3UZ, DX 33050 Cardiff
Web: www.gov.uk
Email: enquiries@companieshouse.gov.uk
Tel: 0303 1234 500
All limited companies are registered at Companies House.
You can find company information published on the website.

It is also worth contacting an advisory agency such as Citizens Advice, Trading Standards or, taking legal advice.